Let the numbers do the talking.
M-commerce sales hit $3.56 trillion in 2021!
With the rise of usage of smartphones, high-speed internet, online shopping, and cashless payments, m-commerce has been growing rapidly over the years.
Commercial activities over mobile devices have become faster, more secure, and more scalable.
Hence, businesses have resorted to m-commerce as an easy solution for their consumers to shop and pay online.
Mobile commerce a.k.a m-commerce is the usage of mobile devices to perform commercial activities such as product sales or purchases, online transactions, bill payment, online banking, and more. Consumers can shop, pay online or conduct any commercial activity via the brand’s app/website, messaging channels, or marketplaces.
Due to the increasing trend of using mobile devices to conduct commercial activities, it is expected that mobile devices will be the main channel to access customers.
In this article, we have laid out 63 actionable stats related to m-commerce, messaging channels like WhatsApp or Instagram, and marketplaces like Amazon or Flipkart for marketers.
This data will help marketers understand the m-commerce industry and consumer behavior to devise an actionable marketing strategy for their business.
Mobile Commerce Statistics for Marketers
Here are some interesting mobile commerce statistics that marketers need to know:
- Up to 53.9% of all ecommerce sales were from m-commerce in 2021
- Mobile Payment Applications is set to continue its growth of 26.93% between 2020 to 2025
- Mobile commerce sales reached $3.56 trillion in 2021
- 71% of in-store shoppers who use smartphones for online research, reported that their device has become more important to their in-store experience.
- 42% of mobile-driven brand interactions involve Google search
- 60% of consumers use social media to research new products and services.
- 79% of smartphone users have purchased online using their mobile devices in the last 6 months.
- The share of m-commerce in all ecommerce was 72.9% in 2021.
- As of January 2020, mobile accounts had 52% of online traffic.
- 67% of customers window shop online just for fun.
- The global mobile coupon industry will grow by 56.5% by 2025.
- 49% of consumers use their smartphones to shop online.
- Consumers spent 2.3 billion hours in shopping apps during 2020 Singles Day week.
- 90% of users make purchasing decisions through their mobile devices.
- 79% of mobile interactions in 2023 will be conducted by chatbots (Juniper Research).
- Global digital wallet size will be $9.35 trillion by 2026 (Global News Wire).
- There are 10.97 billion mobile connections globally.
- The mobile data traffic grew 700% in the last 5 years globally.
- 35% of mobile wallet users are millennials.
- Almost 187.5 million users in the US will have made at least one purchase via a website or an app with their mobile phone by 2024.
- 40% of revenue from sales in the US came from mobile phones during the 2020 holiday season. (Adobe, 2020)
- 83% of consumers are more likely to engage with a brand’s loyalty programs
- PayPal’s annual mobile payment volume is increasing at 46% year on year. (Statista)
- Retail m-commerce sales in India reached nearly $38B in 2020 (Statista)
- 76% of consumers shop on mobile devices because it saves time. (Dynamic Yield)
- 73% of shoppers use multiple channels to shop (Harvard Business Review)
- 40% of shoppers say that they will buy a product if they get to experience it through AR before they buy it.
- 69% of mobile shoppers want easy answers to their questions.
- M-commerce sales in the UK rose by 169.1% in January 2021.
- The average order value of mobile shoppers in the UK is about $66.80.
- 46% of people read reviews of all purchases on their mobile phones.
- Mobile devices accounted for 61.9% of Google’s total paid search clicks.
- 48% of buyers use mobiles as the first POC to start their search.
- M-ecommerce volume will rise at a 25.5% compound annual growth rate until 2024, hitting $488 billion in sales.
- 50% of people have visited a website to make a purchase after seeing a product or service.
- 130 million Instagram users tap on shopping posts every month.
- 46% of B2B content marketers used organic Instagram within the past 12 months.
- 55% of fashion and apparel shoppers have made a purchase based on an Instagram creator's post.
- 36.2% of B2B decision-makers use Instagram to discover and research new products.
- 44% of businesses have used stories to promote products or services.
- 81% of people use Instagram to help research products and services.
- The average engagement rate for an Instagram post by a business account is 0.96%.
- WhatsApp had a majority of its users between 26 and 35 years old as of 2020.
- The average WhatsApp user on the android platform spends 19.4 hours per month that is approximately 38 minutes per day on the app.
- Approximately 175 million people send messages to business accounts on WhatsApp every day.
- There are approximately 8 million business catalogs on WhatsApp.
- 70% of WhatsApp users check it daily.
- WhatsApp users in the US are expected to hit 85.8 million by 2023.
1. 48.5% of B2B decision-makers use Facebook for research.
2. 18.3% of U.S adults made a purchase through Facebook in 2020.
3. Facebook users spend 34 minutes per day using the platform.
4. Facebook has an advertising audience of 2.14 Billion.
5. 15% of Facebook users used the social platform to look and shop for products in 2019.
6. 79.9% of users only access the platform on a mobile device.
7. 15% of users used the social platform to look and shop for products in 2019
8. The average engagement rate per Facebook post is 0.27% in 2020
9. 87% of Facebook advertising revenue came from mobile in 2018
1. The most popular mobile shopping apps in the US were Amazon (80.64%), Walmart (46.08%), and eBay (33.28%)
2. In the first quarter of 2021, Amazon generated total net sales of approximately 108.52 billion US dollars.
3. 17% of all transactions are predicted to go through ecommerce and marketplaces by 2023.
4. 65% of US Amazon shoppers are subscribed to Amazon Prime(Statista)
5. Etsy made over $1.7 billion on sales, exploding over 100% since the year before in 2020
6. Private sellers have reported a 70% success rate for selling items on Facebook marketplaces.
Consumers are using their phones for almost everything starting from product research to online banking transactions. The m-commerce market is expected to consistently grow in the coming years and the advantages of using it outweigh the disadvantages.